Skim Existing Rough Concrete Drive Surface - What to Use?
Post your questions and get answers regarding all areas of drives, pathways and patios

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Countgribbeau
Labourer
Labourer

Skim Existing Rough Concrete Drive Surface - What to Use?

by Countgribbeau » Thu Jun 25, 2015 7:34 pm

I have a driveway which was left in "rough" concrete by my builder, and at the time I had no cash to finish it. Now I'm getting there I need to know how to finish it.

Problem is the thickest I can finish it to is 50mm or my garage door aint going to open & drains won't work.

I'd rather not finish it in Tarmac if I can avoid it, but readymix guy says don't use concrete. any suggestions?

Cheers.

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Skim Existing Rough Concrete Drive Surface - What to Use?

by welsh brickie » Sat Jun 27, 2015 10:58 am

any screed that thick will crack under the pressure of heavy traffic. You could pave over it, slabs are 40mm thick laid on a bed of mortar.

Countgribbeau
Labourer
Labourer

by Countgribbeau » Sun Jul 12, 2015 3:11 pm

Thank you for that answer, I was expecting it and you just confirmed my fears. I'm afraid unless they're quite small (about the size of bricks) slabs wouldn't work as the drive surface curves in at least 2 planes, plus it's on a fairly steep hill. Plus I don't have that much cash. ;o)

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by welsh brickie » Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:01 pm

there is a new product called resin drives, its a gravel and resin mix that bonds to concrete and is only 20mm thick

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:48 am