Skirting To Floor Problems and Filling Gaps
Re-generate an old or tired space and give it a fresh breath of life. Click here for answers, information and tips

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
jc456
Labourer
Labourer

Skirting To Floor Problems and Filling Gaps

by jc456 » Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:00 am

Hi all

I hope you are well. I have little if any DIY experience and would very much appreciate some help. I have a new build (well now its 5 years!) which I am very happy with. I am getting a bit better at filling wall cracks, painting etc but now want to fix something i realy dont like: skirting to floor gaps.

I have attached some images but the gaps range from 0.3cm to a maximum of 0.95cm. As you can see they are all around the skirting. How do I fix this?

Some ideas I have had:
- Filling underneath the skirting board with wood filler or caulk..sand, paint, then putting silicone around as on the rest
- Trying to put silicone as is on it (just bigger "opening on the gun"
- Putting some stripwood under the big gaps with glue..then sand, paint, silicone

I would like to avoid taking the skirting off... my skills are no where near as confident to do that. Would like something that looks nice and causes little hassle. I know easier said than done. Any support appreciated!
Attachments
111.jpg

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Skirting To Floor Problems and Filling Gaps

by stoneyboy » Sat Jun 20, 2020 2:08 pm

Hi jc456
Ideally you should remove and fit new skirting (removal generally makes the old unusable). Otherwise get some 20mm+ bullnose softwood strip, pin this to the skirting and paint it. This way if the floor drops any more you will be able to lower the bullnose strip.
Regards S

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Skirting To Floor Problems and Filling Gaps

by stoneyboy » Sat Jun 20, 2020 2:08 pm

Hi jc456
Ideally you should remove and fit new skirting (removal generally makes the old unusable). Otherwise get some thin 20mm+ bullnose softwood strip, pin this to the skirting and paint it. This way if the floor drops any more you will be able to lower the bullnose strip.
Regards S

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:38 am