sloped roof
Information, help and tips on many areas of roofing including trusses, tiling, venting, insulation etc....

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
georgejd29
Labourer
Labourer

sloped roof

by georgejd29 » Tue Aug 28, 2007 6:11 pm

hi there all on the diy doctor , im looking for help with my garage roof which is attached to the side of my house , im changing it from a flat roof to a sloped roof and am looking to attaching the timbers to the side of my house , should i use joist hangers bolted th the house or knock out the bricks and recess them into the gap or can i bolt a long piece of timber to the house and using standaed timber hangers attach them to the timber ? Regards George

thedoctor

by thedoctor » Sun Sep 02, 2007 11:07 am

A timber bolted with chemical fixings (as seen in our chemical fixings project) is good or joist hangers inserted into a brickwork joint. We would not advise chopping out bricks to put the timbners in the wall.

Glennhudsonuk
Labourer
Labourer

Lean to Style roof trusses

by Glennhudsonuk » Fri Oct 09, 2009 8:45 pm

Hi. I have just built a small single story extension for someone and was going to make the trusses and put them up for him by just making some triangles out of timber with the correct pitch. It is a lean to style roof.
Then I was going to use joist hangers to attach it to the existing property. Then attach it to the extension by nailing it to the wall plate and attaching the wall plate with wall plate straps.

Long winded I know, but it all seemed so simple until I spoke to building regs. Now I haven't got a clue!

Can you help with the best way to do this please? diagrams would be great!!

Many thanks

Glenn

TheDoctor4
Project Manager
Project Manager

Local help at hand!

by TheDoctor4 » Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:39 pm

Find trusted, insured and vetted tradesman local to your area. Visit the DIY Doctor Find a Tradesman page: https://www.diydoctor.org.uk/find_tradesmen/

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Mar 07, 2024 3:09 pm