Sloshing sound from Just above the boiler...
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
The Governor
Apprentice
Apprentice

Sloshing sound from Just above the boiler...

by The Governor » Sat Apr 12, 2008 4:43 pm

I couldn't see a topic like this one, so thought a new post was best.

It's hard to describe in text, but when our heating is on, just after the boiler switches off and the pump over-runs there is a sloshing/glugging sound from what sounds like the pipes just above the boiler.

Almost like the sound of puring water into a fish-tank type noise.

I've built up a theory that it happens most when it is only heating the water.

Also, one of the radiators (the one closest to the pump in the airing cupboard) needs bleeding every couple fo weeks as it fills with air.

My guess is that when the water only is heated, the pump finds it easier to suck air through the header tank rather than around our fairly large system.

Based on that, I'm thinking of raising the header tank to increase the head of water above, but wanted to get some advice before I do anything.

I should also mention, if I put the pump on speed 2 the problem goes away, but that speed isn't sufficient to heat the rads, again due to the size of the system.

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

by htg engineer » Sat Apr 12, 2008 6:42 pm

If there's any air in the pipes it will sound like this - and maybe the pump setting is too high try turning down to setting II and see how it goes.

The Governor
Apprentice
Apprentice

by The Governor » Sat Apr 12, 2008 6:49 pm

Thanks htg engineer, using setting II is fine for moving water around when heating the hot water tank only, but it isn't strong enough to get the water around all the rads when the heating is on.

I tend to use setting II during the summer when the ehating is rarely on, but during the winter I have to turn it up and the sloshing returns :(

I guess what i really need is a pump with a "2.5" setting...

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

by htg engineer » Sat Apr 12, 2008 9:52 pm

Sorry, didn't read you post properly, you said you tried setting II and it doesn't work.

Increasing height of the tank and vent pipe might work.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1