Sludge in one radiator
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
PatK
Apprentice
Apprentice

Sludge in one radiator

Post by PatK » Mon Jan 21, 2008 3:44 pm

I have a problem with one radiator being cold at the bottom (single piped system).

I have put some desludging fluid into my radiator system and it has been in for about 5 days now. The radiator is getting slightly hot at the bottom but is nowhere near as hot as the top. Is this normal as I was hoping it would have cleared the sludge by now.

I believe I can leave the desludger in the system for 2 weeks so I presume I should stick with it and it should completely clear after the 2 weeks.

Your comments would be appreciated.

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by htg engineer » Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:47 pm

I would remove the radiator and flush with a hose pipe, if you have the time and patience - remove all radiators and flush. Fill and drain pipework a couple of times. Then replace radiators with an inhibitor added.

PatK
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by PatK » Thu Jan 24, 2008 1:32 pm

Thanks htg engineer,

I did remove rad and flushed with a hosepipe (as best I could) but it was still cold when I reconnected it to the system.

I was told to put the sludge remover in the system and this should work. Perhaps when the two weeks are up (for the sludge remover in the system) I will drain down and also try to hose it out again and then reconnect.

Because the 2 week period ends next Wednesday (sludge remover in the system) will it do any harm if I wait until the Saturday to drain the system down when I can actually see what I am doing?

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1