Smart light Switch or Intelligent GU10 Bulbs
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

7 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
StrangelyBrown
Labourer
Labourer

Smart light Switch or Intelligent GU10 Bulbs

by StrangelyBrown » Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:08 pm

Good afternoon all.

Long time reader, first time poster :)

We have Hive lighting throughout the house and whilst it is extremely convenient , for our kitchen we want LED down lighters so need to find another option.

Are there any smart light switches or intelligent GU10 led bulbs which can be controlled by an app?

Mr White
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Smart light Switch or Intelligent GU10 Bulbs

by Mr White » Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:39 pm

Yes there are several makes of "smart GU10" lamp available. Depending on what you want / need. (You neglected to say) I just checked via google.

StrangelyBrown
Labourer
Labourer

by StrangelyBrown » Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:14 pm

Mr White - thanks for your reply :)

It is to replace two roses we have in our kitchen. Our intention is to have 8-10 LED downlights shallow depth if possible but failing that "standard" fit downlights.

Something like this would be ideal but would need to be "smart" and controlled by an app so that can controlled remotely.
https://www.downlights.co.uk/aurora-slim-fit-low-profile.html

This ticks most of the boxes but as we are looking to have eight the combined cost would exceed our budget of £400.
https://tinyurl.com/ybn43842

Mr White
Project Manager
Project Manager

by Mr White » Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:27 pm

I can never understand why any one would want to control any thing remotely, since you can not tell if it is actually working, not working, over heated and about to catch fire. The only exception would be a pan and tilt camera.

If you want to turn the lights just on or off you may want to consider a "sonoff" unit, to control all your lamps at once.

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

by ericmark » Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:10 pm

I can only say what I have, wanted to be able to switch bedroom lights on/off in bed, option was renew cable to wall switch and fit a pull cord or fit a smart light switch.

So fitted a Energenie MiHome smart switch, this is paired to three remote control units, that is the maximum plus a hub which we already had for the central heating, it will accept three set times to switch on/off and you can select which days of the week these are active for, I can use PC, Tablet or Phone to control lights should I want to as using a hub.

Using the IFTTT protocol I can do all sorts of daft things, for example turn on the bedroom lights in my bedroom if mothers bedroom gets too cold.

It does not require a neutral and works fine with a 10W LED bulb.

However there are down sides, with a power failure it auto switches off, with a bulb failure it auto switches off, can't switch it on with no bulb in it, it shows on/off with app on phone but not with PC. It needs a deep back box, and no tags top and bottom.

As one light in bedroom fine, however would not want all over the house. Since I already had sockets, and TRV electronic heads it made sense for me to use same system, no need to by second hub. But only used with one remote although it has the options rest is not used.

Mr White
Project Manager
Project Manager

by Mr White » Thu Dec 02, 2021 7:24 pm

The general idea with smart lighting is you buy either a smart fitting or a smart lamp.
You can buy any of the fittings you link to and just add a smart lamp that will fit the fitting of your choice.
You can also buy a Hive smart lamp starting at £19 each

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

by ericmark » Thu Dec 02, 2021 8:59 pm

I wanted to control the landing light, combination of original switches and smart controls, and I found this [attachment=1]DSC_6061.jpg[/attachment]
It fits inside my light turns the light switch to extra low voltage and tests seem good, but need ladders to fit it so sitting in a box for son to fit for me.
More details here [attachment=0]DSC_6060.jpg[/attachment]
Things move on, since I first replied to this post, had Smart switches and sockets fail, and with some thing hard wired that means power off to replace, where smart bulbs you don't need to turn off all lights to replace one bulb.
Attachments
DSC_6060.jpg
DSC_6061.jpg

7 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:03 pm