Smell of Damp in Kitchen
Damp can be a major issue in the home. Find answers to questions or post your own here.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
djkevess
Labourer
Labourer

Smell of Damp in Kitchen

by djkevess » Fri May 18, 2007 9:42 am

I have just bought a new house (well 100 years old :lol: ). I bought the house from my step brother who renovated it. Week before completion he had a leak in the kitchen from a water pipe which flooded the floor. Everything was cleaned up and seemed fine. Now that im in the house working on it everytime i got into the kitchen I can smell damp. The floor of the kitchen is tiled, and these tiles seem to be sitting on the previous flooring which was laminated wood & an under foam. Under the units where there is no tiling ive noticed that the under foam is still damp. Whats the best solution to this? Is there a way of neutralising the damp smell???

thedoctor

by thedoctor » Fri May 18, 2007 8:44 pm

Its not the smell you should be worried about, its the actual damp....Wherever there is damp there can be rot and if you do not find the damp areas and dry them out thoroughly which may include taking up the floor if the timber underneath it is saturated, you could be asking for a continual smell of damp and eventually rot. Areas, such as trapped voids under floor surface, which have no access to outside air cannot evaporate and will stay damp for a very long time.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:43 pm