DIY Doctor

Main navigation

Smells from bathroom pipes and sink when using after a few hours

Postby RobM » Thu Aug 19, 2021 8:07 pm

Hi (first time poster).
When we've not used the bathroom sink for a few hours and then use it, we get a nasty smell from the bath plughole (i.e. first thing in the morning and after a day at work).

I've used plughole unblocker on the sink, shower and bath, and use hair plug covers in the sink and shower but still get the wiff / smell.

We've not replaced the bathroom but appears the sink connects into the shower, that in turn connects to the bath before the outlet. I know this because sometimes we hear or see water 'glugging' in the shower or bath when using the sink.

The outlet (c2-3") pipe runs into the rain gully for the kitchen extension.
We've had a look and the outlet looks quite clear, apart from being a bit mouldy inside.
The house was empty for about a year before we moved in about 3 years ago.

I'm wondering if it would help to clean all the pipes right through the system? What would I use, just bleach? What's the best way to do this? We could cap the outlet and flood the system.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
RM
RobM
Progress to next rank:
50%

Sponsor

Simply Build It

Postby stoneyboy » Fri Aug 20, 2021 9:30 pm

Hi robm
The most likely cause it that when the sink is emptied, a vacuum is created which sucks the water out of the bath trap. Assuming you have a 2” bath trap try fitting a deeper trap.
Regards S
stoneyboy

Postby RobM » Mon Aug 23, 2021 7:42 pm

Hi stoneyboy,
Thanks, I appreciate the quick reply and advise.
Is the small trap likely the cause of the smell I've getting from the bath plughole?
Regards,
RM
RobM
Progress to next rank:
50%

Postby stoneyboy » Mon Aug 23, 2021 9:47 pm

Hi robm
It may be the combination of a 2” deep bath trap and long waste pipe runs. Fitting a deeper trap may solve the problem but if space is an issue you may have to use a hepv0 type trap.
Regards S.
stoneyboy

Postby RobM » Mon Aug 30, 2021 6:43 pm

Hi stoneyboy,
Brilliant, thanks.
Regards,
RM
RobM
Progress to next rank:
50%

Sort by
Order by

• DIY How to Project Guides
  • DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!