All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
totallytech
Labourer
Labourer

Snapped mains stopcock handle off!

Post by totallytech » Mon Nov 08, 2021 7:36 am

Hi all,
I’ve got a minor issue - I snapped the mains stop cock handle off. There is still enough to use with grips and turn however since snapping it off it’s also leaking from the top (around the gland nut).

So, I can turn the water off in the street to either replace or repair the stopcock but I’m struggling with knowing what to do.

E7C22AB7-8DEA-4694-9B43-608AC783CCC4.jpeg

Initially I was planning on buying a replacement of the same size of this broken one and simply unscrew using the compression fittings and fit the new one - however it looks like the points where the tap is connected to the pipework is wrapped in something (possibly even concrete).

So the alternative is to find an exact replacement and swap out the gland nut and handle etc….

Does anyone recognise this set up? What would you do in my situation?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Stilson24
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: Snapped mains stopcock handle off!

Post by Stilson24 » Tue Nov 09, 2021 6:07 pm

What you have there are 'lead wiped ' joints, probably to lead pipes.
You will need to check the pipe above and below to check to see if it is lead (gently scrape with a knife). If it is lead the simplest way would be to change the guts of the tap for a new one =providing the seat in the existing body is not nicked or damaged (can be recut with a recutting tool). simple operation.
Alternatively you may be able to buy a tap with plastic fittings that will accomodate the lead pipe. (used to be called Johnson Viking fittings)

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 15, 2024 5:55 pm