So much condensation in my loft
Information and advice on lofts and loft conversions. Find solutions and post your questions here...

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
DZT
Labourer
Labourer

So much condensation in my loft

by DZT » Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:45 pm

Having taken steps to add extra insulation in the loft floor, put chip board flooring down , add extra sofet vents ( every 2-3ft) I still get condensation on the roof felt when the temp drops below 2-3 degree Celsius.
I note the comments that water vapor can seep through plaster but when the condensation occurs it takes 4-5 bath towels to remove it. That is a lot of vapor each day.
I thought removing the hot and cold tanks from the loft would help. A couple of builders have been in giving me quote to put airbricks in or roof tiles with vents in but I'm not convinced they will generate enough circulation of air to solve the problem.
A colleague at work who got a a metal shed had load of condensation (almost like rain inside!) , he tried to improve the air flow - no change, and was advised to put insulation actually on the sloping part of the roof so the air filled with vapor would not hit such a cold surface and condense .
What do you reckon?

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Fri Feb 19, 2010 7:21 pm

DZT,
You need to find out why there is so much condensation in the loft.
When the central heating is running go and have a look at the small header tank and see if the water is hot (it should be cold).
If this is OK buy a cheap hygrometer and put it in the rooms directly under the loft, you should get readings at about 50% - if they are a lot higher investigate.
end

DZT
Labourer
Labourer

I now have a combi boiler

by DZT » Sun Feb 21, 2010 12:42 pm

So no longer have any tanks in the loft.
I did think that removing the tanks would help but it has not.
In fact it is probably worse but that could be because we had a much colder snap before Christmas in 2009.

Will try the hydrometer suggestion out. Many thanks

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 13, 2024 2:38 am