DIY Doctor

Main navigation

Soakaway Alternatives - Regulations and Options.

Postby neopyrrhus » Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:42 pm

Hi, I've discovered that my guttering does not flow to a soakaway either at the front or the back of the house. I understand that standard regs require that a soakaway must be more than 5 m from the house but this is not possible given the geometry and size of my garden plot. There is a manhole in the back garden into which all our fowl water flows. But at the front there is no main drain. Does anyone have any suggestions for sensible alternatives to a soakaway or advice on regulations for connecting to the main drains. I'm based in north Hampshire. How does one gain access to local building regs information itself?
Rank: Labourer
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun Apr 25, 2010 10:19 am

Postby welsh brickie » Sun Feb 09, 2014 8:28 pm

with todays drainage systems you don't need separate surface and foul drainage, surface water can be connected to the foul system, But you need to install back inlet gullys for the down spouts to flow into.
welsh brickie
Rank: Project Manager
Posts: 2611
Joined: Sat Apr 12, 2008 7:54 am

Display posts from previous
Sort by
Order by

  • DIY How to Project Guides
  • DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!

  • Related Topics