DIY Doctor

Main navigation

soakaway question

Postby garby » Thu May 29, 2008 9:44 am

I've got problem with rainwater building up at the side of my house and I'd like to build a soakaway/french drain to draw it away from the brickwork.

I can't link up a channel to the existing drain without ripping out a conservatory at the back of the house.

The only place I can put the soakaway under a side lawn a metre or so from the side wall. I've been told it has to be at least 5 metres away from the house but I just don't have the room.

Can I still do this? Do I need special permission? Any other solutions to consider?
Rank: Labourer
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu May 29, 2008 9:39 am


Simply Build It

Postby Skids » Sun Jun 15, 2008 4:45 pm

Hi garby

Is the rainwater off the roof or from the garden?

If from the garden you must be able to run it away by means of drainage pipes (like the farmers use, coils of pipe with small holes/slits in it) run out into the lowest part of the garden or to a sewer.

If from the roof you should be able to reroute the guttering down pipes to take it around the building to feed into another ‘surface water sewer/drain’.

Or a combination of both?


Rank: Ganger
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 128
Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2007 6:35 pm

Display posts from previous
Sort by
Order by

  • DIY How to Project Guides
  • DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!

  • Related Topics