Socket close to wash handbasin in bedroom
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
slh
Labourer
Labourer

by slh » Fri Mar 06, 2009 11:05 am

Dear DIY Doctor,

I have a wash handbasin in my bedroom that is very close to a ring main socket. I wish to replace the basin with a new one that sits on a cabinet in a position where the ring main socket would be enclosed behind the cabinet. If I resite the socket, what is the minimum distance from the wash handbasin the new position must be, please?

If instead I choose not to resite it, does it have to be removed, or can I blank it off with a blanking plate, assuming that one with connections is available that will allow the integrity of the ring main to be preserved.

Yours,

slh

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:13 pm

Hi slh,
you would think there would be some regulations that offered zones around a wash basin where socket-outlets are not permitted, similar to the ones for bathrooms and showers.
It is recommended that the socket-outlet is at least 300mm from the basin you could put a blank face plate on it. I would want it to be protected suitable from any potential water ingress though and still 300mm from basin.
Hope this helped
KB

slh
Labourer
Labourer

by slh » Sat Mar 07, 2009 6:40 pm

Dear KB,

Thank you for your advice; it was very useful.

slh.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 13, 2024 10:31 pm