Socket dies upon use
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
fearthepie
Labourer
Labourer

Socket dies upon use

by fearthepie » Mon Aug 18, 2008 11:53 am

I have a mains socket in my garage, which has a 4-way adaptor plugged in. The adaptor has a light built into it, which is on right up until I plug something into it. In fact, it's on until the thing I plug in is turned on. Then, the item will not work, and the light is off.

The 4-way is one known to work - it does the same thing with multiple 4-ways.

Any ideas?

ericmark

by ericmark » Tue Aug 19, 2008 7:19 am

The amount of current required to light a neon is very small and some imported fuses can leave a track inside them when they blow good enough to light a neon.
In fact if we consider a neon screw driver enough power is transferred into the surrounding air with your body with your finger on the end of screw driver to complete the circuit and light the neon when the other end is on a line wire.
I don’t know how your garage is supplied but if with fuses I would check them first. If a breaker then switch it off and back on again as sometimes they trip without moving exterior parts.
Eric

fearthepie
Labourer
Labourer

by fearthepie » Tue Aug 19, 2008 9:16 am

In my fusebox I can see what each one does, and they all work - basically if I unplug one, it turns something else off!

There is a blank space in the box though, so I may try putting a fuse in there - perhaps there is enough current passing through a nearby wire to feed that neon, and the fuse is missing entirely...

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Tue Aug 19, 2008 7:41 pm

Hi, this just has to be a loose connection somewhere which allows enough energy through to light neon but not to provide power, this is a very real fire hazard which should be found ASAP,
regards SPARX

fearthepie
Labourer
Labourer

by fearthepie » Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:37 am

The property is rented, and I'm waiting for the landlord to arrange an electrician to come and check the points. It's been a month now...

Would it be worth my while just checking all the points on the ring myself for loose connections whilst I wait for him to pull his finger out?

TOPSPARK
Ganger
Ganger

by TOPSPARK » Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:10 pm

It sounds to me like you still have a wylex mains board with rewireable fuses .I would recommend you badger your landlord to get an electrician round as this does not comply with bs7671,16th or 17th edition wiring regs.In the least get your landlord to have a periodic test and inspection on the property
all the best
Topspark

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 08, 2024 10:51 am