Socket extension from a light fitting for security camera
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
adivk
Labourer
Labourer

Socket extension from a light fitting for security camera

by adivk » Mon Jul 19, 2021 12:21 pm

Hi Guys
I'm new to this forum and the question I have might be very old. I want to install a security camera outside of my house in the garden area. We have a wall-mounted light installed on the brick wall with a switch inside the house (not sure how the wiring goes). The security camera power is a DC adapter. My plan is to install an IP66 outdoor socket and connect the camera power adapter. My question is can i extend the wires from the light fitting to power the socket? If yes, how? Please can you help me with this. Thanks in advance and appreciate your help.
Regards
Adi

Mr White
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Socket extension from a light fitting for security camera

by Mr White » Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:56 pm

It really depends on how the light has been wired as to if it will work or not, without knowing that the only thing anyone can do is guess.

If I was wiring the light, I would have taken a feed to the switch then a switch cable to the light, this way there would only be ONE cable at the light and so less room required, as you don't get much room with external lights.

If the above is what you have, that would mean the camera would only work when the light is on, which would be no use.

Also if you could install an external socket I doubt you could get one big enough to allow you to close the lid if it had a plug in power supply plugged in, most will only let the lid close if there is nothing plugged in, MK make one that you can close if just a plug is plugged in, but not a plug in power supply.

The ideal solution would be to plug the power supply in, indoors, and to extend the cable from the power supply to the position of the camera, not only would it be easier, it will be safer too.

chriscba
Ganger
Ganger

by chriscba » Mon Jul 19, 2021 10:34 pm

You can get battery powered security cameras that run off the WiFi, it then connects to your phone

adivk
Labourer
Labourer

by adivk » Tue Jul 20, 2021 12:19 pm

Thanks, Mr.White and Chriscba..
To answer Mr. White's question, the light is with a motion sensor and the switch is always ON. Also, there is only one cable with 4 wires (Live, Neutral, Earth, and a Black wire with a Brown sleeve). I've checked the outdoor sockets and yes you are right, the dc power adapter does fit in. Instead, if I use a 1 gang extension socket connect to the light fitting and plug in the DC power adapter and enclose it in a weatherproof box and fix it to the wall? will this setup work? Please check the attached picture.

By the way, I don't want to drill into the wall to extend the power adapter cable. I tried but failed.
Appreciate your help and thanks.
Regards
Adi
Attachments
Camera Connection.jpg

Mr White
Project Manager
Project Manager

by Mr White » Tue Jul 20, 2021 11:12 pm

So long as you connect the socket correctly, it will work.

I would also suggest that you drill very small holes in the adaptable box on the surface that will point downward. This is to allow the box to breath and prevent condensation build up.

Where ever you plan to mount the camera, unless you are going to mount it on the front of the box, bring the cable out through the bottom, as a hole in the top or side will let the rain into the box.

adivk
Labourer
Labourer

by adivk » Wed Jul 28, 2021 12:47 am

Thanks Mr White. I'm going to start the work this weekend. Will post the result.

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:33 am