Socket heights and switch heights-old dwelling being rewired
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Sparkydelux
Tradesman
Tradesman

Socket heights and switch heights-old dwelling being rewired

by Sparkydelux » Mon Jul 09, 2007 11:31 pm

Hi,
I am rewiring a old house.All old cables out etc.However the backbox locations are staying in the origional places with the exception of additional ones.Now i understand that the sockets have to be at a height of 450cm and switches at 1200cm.

With reference to the old locations of the backboxes,i have not adjusted them to the new hieght.I have merely added the other sockets in at the origional height which is 300cm and the switches at 1360cm.
The house is not habitable for disabled people and does not cater for them in other areas.

Am I wrong in not raising the old boxes to the 450 mark,as with the switches?

I am sure i read in my Part P book that if the dwelling is not for disabled purposes then the height allocations do not apply.I would like to hear what other people think and would be greatful for your advise.

I have done quite a bit to the house so far therefore i would like to clarify this before the plasterers get there to make good.

I look forward to your comments.

Regards.

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Tue Jul 10, 2007 5:55 pm

Hi, for alterations & additions new must be 'no worse than others', however for 'substantial refurbishment' (rewires?) should meet new standards, Eh!!!
Ask your Part P body for guidance, they all have tech. help line & you can quote them!!
regards SPARX

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Mar 08, 2024 7:19 pm