socket location
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
chrisrevill
Labourer
Labourer

socket location

by chrisrevill » Wed Apr 18, 2007 10:38 pm

I'm putting in a new socket in the kitchen which will be situated under the boiler. is there any rules that state that the positioning of this socket is to close to the boiler? what about positions near sinks or channelling out in these areas for the cable?
thanks
chris

Jeffmo
Ganger
Ganger

socket addition

by Jeffmo » Thu Apr 19, 2007 4:30 pm

Hi Chris , i am playing the devils advocate here but if you are putting or doing anything electrical in the kitchen it needs to be done by a part p self cert electrician as kitchens are classed as special areas.Is the boiler in a wall cupboard or on the wall if so i would go down which is the prefered method and depending on the floor do as much work as possible under there , rather than run horizontily ,it should be as far away as possible from sink to avoiod indirect contact . But get someone in and they should tell you ..REMEMBER KITCHENS AND BATHROOMS >>PART P DON'T TOUCH EM. Regards Jeff

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:24 pm

I am sure you must be aware that this is covered under bldg. regs Part P so you can't legally do this yourself!
See Projects section for details, but to answer your ? ..as long as not close enough to over heat, no restictions on position,
As for closeness to sinks there is NO limit in regs. provided the type of socket is suitable for IP Rating, ie you could fit socket behind sink IF you were happy with outdoor IP56 rated type but it would look hideous....
As for cable routes this is one of main points in Part P .
you can chase between outlets either vert. or horizontal creating a safe zone, or if not in direct line must be either covered in earthed metal(Difficult), or buried more than 50 mm below surface, this is one of the least understood requirements of legislation, which is why you must use or be registered Electrician to do this work!
regards Sparx

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 13, 2024 6:02 am