soil and vent / aav question
All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
buttas
Labourer
Labourer

soil and vent / aav question

by buttas » Wed Aug 20, 2008 1:23 am

Im hoping someone can answer some questions about soil and vent/aav. I would like to know the requirements etc for these. I recently got my bathroom renovated, and on the original quote, the plumber said he would move the existing vent pipies that were running through my bathroom to the outside of the house to add some room to the bathroom. On completion of the job, he told me that he didnt need to put the pipes outside because he was able to get the pipes up the cavity in the wall. since then, anytime it rains im getting water leaking through my bathroom ceiling, so obviously the original pipes through the roof have not been capped.

The bathroom is upstairs, and as far as i can see, the only vent on the system is an aav in a downstairs area, within a closed cabinet.

what are the requirements for venting the system. should the aav be, as i understand it, above the height of the flood level of the highest unit, ie upstairs above the wc/sink/shower? and is one AAV enough for the system or should there be any other vent?

also the wc is not flushing properly, sometimes a full flush, sometimes not, could this be as a result of pressure within the system, as a result of the AAV being downstairs?

I am also sometimes getting a foul smell from the area around where the AAV is fitted

AdamsHeating
Ganger
Ganger

by AdamsHeating » Wed Aug 20, 2008 4:31 pm

Hiya Mate,

It is far easier for me to say to you right now that you should ring the plumber back right now and tell him you are having problems with the work he has done. If these symptoms weren't present before he started the work but are now it is obviously something he has done... wrong.

Any plumber worth their reputation will come back and sort this for you free of charge.

AH

parkyplumber
Apprentice
Apprentice

by parkyplumber » Wed Aug 20, 2008 7:34 pm

The guy who did this doesn't sound very good
You would never put any pipes inside a wall cavity.
You are correct the aav should be above the highest overflow in your bathroom.
I wouldnt let the guy anywhere near my house, get a competant plumber to fix the problems and send him the bill.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:57 am