Drainage and wastage systems and plumbing help, advice and answers

1 post   •   Page 1 of 1
mrmeanor
Labourer
Labourer

Soil Pipe Along Stairwell When Installing Bathroom Upstairs

Post by mrmeanor » Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:51 pm

Hi,

I'm installing a bathroom upstairs in what is currently a walk-in wardrobe at the front of the house, however the main soil stack is at the back of the house and the only way to get the bathroom waste to the back of the house is to run it out of the bathroom and boxed in along the upstairs landing (3m) and along the wall of the stairwell. Not the prettiest, however there really is no other way of overcoming this problem due to the slope requirements of the soil pipe and location of the sewer.

The boxed in pipework means that the stairwell is a little narrower - 575mm between the banister and pipe. Is this sufficient or do building regs specify a minimum width a stairwell has to be?

I've attached a diagram.

Practically and aesthetically speaking it's not ideal but this in my opinion is still vastly outweighed by the benefit of having a bathroom upstairs as opposed to the current situation where you have to walk downstairs and the entire length of the house in order to use the toilet or have a shower! It also means i can decommission the large bathroom downstairs, turn it into a decent size bedroom and then install another bathroom next door to it where there is space. Essentially, it turns a 2 bed, 1 bathroom house into a 3 bed 2 bathroom house, without sacrificing much space or having inadequately size rooms.

Thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

1 post   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Mar 27, 2024 1:20 am