soil pipe - plastic or cast iron??
All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
michellewiseman
Labourer
Labourer

soil pipe - plastic or cast iron??

by michellewiseman » Fri Oct 26, 2007 11:09 pm

I have just recently sold my ground floor flat and the buyers surveyor has queried if my bathroom meets requirements. The bathroom had been changed and done up (removal of bath, shower cubical installation and removal of water tank) prior to my purchasing it. My solicitor appointed a company to assess the bathroom and i was told that my current plastic soil pipe must be replaced with a cast iron pipe. I have since had a plumber round, who tells me he'll do the work but if he was installing soil pipes they would be in plastic???
I'm a girl i've no idea, can anyone tell me if i'm wasting my money and should challenge the assessment???

muttley
Tradesman
Tradesman

soil pipe

by muttley » Sat Oct 27, 2007 8:40 am

If I were you I would challenge the assessment first to see why you should have cast iron soilpipe as opposed to plastic.Is there apossibility that accidental damage could happen to it.The cost of installing cast iron soil pipe would be horrendous compared to plastic.Good Luck

officersmess
Apprentice
Apprentice

soil pipe - plastic or cast iron

by officersmess » Sat Oct 27, 2007 7:33 pm

I am a real traditionalist and it took me many years to come round to the use of plastic soil pipes. They are now the industry standard and rightly so.
Whoever is recommending cast iron in this day and age needs to come to terms with progress. Stick with it and insist on plastic being perfectly satisfactory.

officersmess

bobplum
Foreman
Foreman

by bobplum » Mon Oct 29, 2007 8:33 pm

can i ask is it in a conservation area?

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:28 pm