soil pipe
All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

7 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
tidoh
Labourer
Labourer

soil pipe

by tidoh » Thu Dec 30, 2010 9:17 am

Currently the soil pipe in my house runs internally through the bathroom and kitchen. How big a job is it to move the pipe outside thus freeing up room in both the bathroom and kitchen

plumbbob
Project Manager
Project Manager

by plumbbob » Fri Dec 31, 2010 1:05 am

I would imagine it is quite an extensive job, but with such a sparse description it is impossible to comment with any accuracy. There would be a wide difference between a bungalow and a two storey house for example.

tidoh
Labourer
Labourer

Re: soil pipe

by tidoh » Fri Dec 31, 2010 1:46 pm

tidoh wrote:Currently the soil pipe in my house runs internally through the bathroom and kitchen. How big a job is it to move the pipe outside thus freeing up room in both the bathroom and kitchen

house is two storey and the pipe runs from where it is vented through the roof straight through the bathroom and kitchen then goes to the drain under the kitchen floor the drain being outside with just the bend under the kitchen floor

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

by htg engineer » Fri Dec 31, 2010 8:28 pm

Mine is the same, runs internally. It wont be a massive job to change - but not worth it as you wont gain that much room.

htg

plumbbob
Project Manager
Project Manager

by plumbbob » Sat Jan 01, 2011 12:36 am

The cost of materials and labour for installing the new pipe outside would be between £200 and £300.

Then there is the cost of digging up the ground outside to make the new connection as well as repairing the roof and fitting new tiles. Cutting new holes through the walls for the bathroom and kitchen wastes and new connections needs to be factored in too.

As I suggested, not a simple job by any means and the overall cost could very possibly be in the region of £500.

plumbbob
Project Manager
Project Manager

by plumbbob » Sat Jan 01, 2011 9:14 am

Oh, and I forgot to mention, you would also be required to inform the Building Control Department at your local Council as you would need to demonstrate that the work carried out conforms to Building Regulations.

jim the plumb
Tradesman
Tradesman

by jim the plumb » Sat Jan 01, 2011 10:58 am

It sounds like you have a bathroom/ kitchen refurb on the cards.

My soil stack is the same, in the corner of the house.

You won't gain much room as htg has already said. The boxing around the pipe can be reduced to hug the pipe a bit closer but you'd only be looking about an inch all round.

If you want to get rid of it in the bathroom, use a durgo valve or 'air-admittance valve' and cut the soil pipe below the level of the bath (with the durgo valve fitted).

I did this and was able to tile right in the corner of the bathroom on top of the bath without going around the boxing for the soil stack cos it wasn't there any more.

If you must move it externally, the actual plumbing is very simple. The drain area will need digging out with a connection left for the new soil stack which will then run externally up the wall.

Timewise it should take no more than two full days to complete - not including internal decoration.

HTH jimbo

7 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:10 pm