Solar Thermal Panels but are Evacuated Tubes or Panels Best?
Find help, tips and information on renewable energy sources such as solar, wind etc.... and also alternative energy & heating production.

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
SassyR
Labourer
Labourer

Solar Thermal Panels but are Evacuated Tubes or Panels Best?

by SassyR » Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:45 pm

I'm thinking about having solar thermal panels installed on my home, to try and save some money on hot water. Does anyone have some clear answers to the following questions...
. Are evacuated tube or flat plate panels better - as I have read that there are two types?
. How likely is it that this system can save me money in the long term?

(Not too many technical terms please I am an absolute beginner in this area)

Thanks

JesspA
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Solar Thermal Panels but are Evacuated Tubes or Panels Best?

by JesspA » Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:52 pm

Hi SassyR,

There are now a range of solar hot water systems that could be deemed more efficient than solar thermal.
I actually work for a company that supplies solar assisted heat pumps (I don't know if you've come across them yet)? Unlike solar thermal they work day and night in all weather!
We are actually a Business to Business distributor, but feel free to take a look at our system website (solamics.co.uk) - if these were something you thought you could of interest, then feel free to give the team a call, and someone would be more than happy to advise you.
We could also put you in touch with your local installer! .

Hope that helps?

Tall bloke
Apprentice
Apprentice

by Tall bloke » Wed Jun 27, 2018 4:38 pm

Did you get a system yet? We recently had panels fitted to our roof and opted for an I. Erosion switch as part of the package. By having the switch power is diverted to heat water when there is spare/available solar power. So far in the first 2 weeks we have been watching it closely and all seems to be well. We start generating our own power by 9 o’clock in the morning and the amount we generate grows until just after lunch when we are getting over 3Kw. We then keep generating until about 8 30 or 9 o’clock in the evening. I have noticed the solar immersion switch diverting our own power to heat water as early as 9 30 in the morning. We were told this system is more efficient that solar thermal tubes and so far it seems to be true.
The switch cost just under £500.

ATMDecor
Labourer
Labourer

by ATMDecor » Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:06 pm

Tall bloke wrote:Did you get a system yet? We recently had panels fitted to our roof and opted for an I. Erosion switch as part of the package. By having the switch power is diverted to heat water when there is spare/available solar power. So far in the first 2 weeks we have been watching it closely and all seems to be well. We start generating our own power by 9 o’clock in the morning and the amount we generate grows until just after lunch when we are getting over 3Kw. We then keep generating until about 8 30 or 9 o’clock in the evening. I have noticed the solar immersion switch diverting our own power to heat water as early as 9 30 in the morning. We were told this system is more efficient that solar thermal tubes and so far it seems to be true.
The switch cost just under £500.

Thank you for this useful information.

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

by ericmark » Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:49 pm

Father-in-law fitted hot water system it was useless, Daughter has it and really A1, the difference is father-in-laws house was in north Wales, and daughters house is in Turkey.

To my mind there are too many loses between panel and water tank, best option is electric solar panels and an immersion heater so excess is fed to water. The loses roof to water tank have then gone.

I am sure South of England the water panels will work, but by time you reach North Wales no longer viable option.

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Mar 27, 2024 4:05 am