Solid oak floor
Help, advice, information, answers and tips on all types of flooring from laminate and carpet to timber and vinyl

magpie
Labourer
Labourer

Solid oak floor

by magpie » Mon Jul 16, 2007 9:58 pm

Hello, hope you can advise on fitting a solid oak floor.
I have 27sq m of solid oak floor to lay. The planks are 15mm x 75mm in varying lengths, t + g to sides and ends. Skirting boards will be removed to aid fitting and there is no problem in accommodating the additional height that the new floor will give.
The floor is going in the front hall, through a doorway into the breakfast room and continuing through into the conservatory. The kitchen will also be covered and it is off to the side of the breakfast room. The kitchen, breakfast room and conservatory form an L shpe with each room around 2.5m x 2.5m. There is a line of sight from the front door down the hall, through the breakfast room to the end of the conservatory which measures about 9m. I was going to get this straight line and work out each way from it.
My problem is the suspended timber floor that I am laying it on. The hall and breakfast room is 150mm x 19mm timber floorboards on joists while the conservatory and kitchen is 19mm weyroc/chipboard on joists. the hall has 6mm plywood sheets securely fixed and this is at the same level as the breakfast room/kitchen/conservatory lino tiles which are securely glued to 4mm ply sheets securely fixed to the floorboards/weyroc.
What is the best way to fix the floor and can I leave the plywood and lino tiles down. Someone has suggested gluing to the floor, someone else said secret nail and a third person said glue the t+g and let it float! I had decided to glue the planks to the existing level floor(lino tiles and plywood) and glue the t+g as well. Do you think this will be ok or should I take up the lino tiles and plywood and level right through with new plywood sheets before gluing? I had decided against secret nailing as I was advised that the nails will not get a good grip in weyroc.
What do the experts think?

It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:07 am