Solutions to a bitumen balcony
Information, help and advice on maintaining, installing and repairing a flat roof. Post your questions and view answers here

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Mbmagic
Labourer
Labourer

Solutions to a bitumen balcony

by Mbmagic » Thu Aug 05, 2021 10:58 pm

Hi, I have a balcony that goes straight out from double doors in my kitchen then stairs down to the garden. The problem is that when warm the bitumen becomes very soft and all furniture, pots and people sink into the roof. Any ideas of what I can do? I would have built a decking but there is hardly any wall to secure to and cannot drill into the roof and spacers I think would sink in, also only about an inch or so between the roof and the bottom of the door. Should I lay a patio, somehow securing backer boards or something to the roof first? A bit lost to what my options are but definitely need to do something as it’s just getting destroyed. The balcony is only about 2 x 4 metres.

Thanks In advance

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Solutions to a bitumen balcony

by stoneyboy » Sat Aug 07, 2021 9:32 pm

Hi mbmagic
You could tile the balcony with ceramic tiles on a cementious bed or lay decking boards secured underneath at the top and bottom with stainless strapping and screws.
Regards S

Mbmagic
Labourer
Labourer

by Mbmagic » Sun Aug 08, 2021 10:51 am

Hi,

Thanks for the tips.

How would I secure the decking in with screws? Not sure that just drilling into the bitumen roof would be a good idea? Also I would have thought there would be problems with it sitting straight on the roof with no gaps for water to rot the deck?

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Sun Aug 08, 2021 9:41 pm

Hi mbmagic
No need to fix the decking down - there will be plants of weight to keep it in place if it is all held together with straps top and bottom. Yes the decking will rot over time but it will take a few years and if the bitumen is soft it will be self sealing.
Regards S

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 22, 2024 11:13 am