Some Fairly Basic Questions on Shower Pumps and Towel Rails
Drainage and wastage systems and plumbing help, advice and answers

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
showerwall
Labourer
Labourer

Some Fairly Basic Questions on Shower Pumps and Towel Rails

by showerwall » Fri Sep 11, 2015 10:21 am

I wonder if anyone could answer some fairly basic questions on shower pumps and towel rails please?

1. In the past I have had a towel rail supplied with heat via the domestic hot water supply. This means that I have warm, dry towels throughout the year and don't have to rely on having the Central heating on. can I have a new towel rail installed in this way or is this now illegal or considered to be an undesirable situation?

2. If I can't have a towel rail heated by the domestic hot water supply and end up having to install a dual fuel rail, what are the rules in terms of an electrician wiring up the element? Does the supply have to be taken all the way back to the main circuit board or can he take a spur off a nearby socket (located outside the bathroom, obviously)?

3. Can someone please give me some honest explanations in relation to a shower pump. My cold water tank is located in the loft, more than 60 cms above the shower head. The hot water tank is on the same floor as the shower, in an airing cupboard in a study adjacent to the bathroom. I currently have an Aqualisa shower pump on the floor of this airing cupboard. As part of refurbishing the bathroom and installing a new shower cubicle I want to fit a new shower pump (the old one is many years old has some sort of push-button vacuum switch to turn it on - I have had to replace this push-button in the past and I gateher that they are no longer in common usage). I have been told (by Stuart Turner) that I need to fit a "Negative head" shower pump, a local plumber's merchants tells me and everything I have read seems to suggest that I only need to fit a "Posittive head" shower pump. What shoul I fit and why?

4. Can someone please explain whether I should use a 2 BAR or a 3 BAR shower pump and why?

5. Finally (sorry about this), would there be any down side to having the shower pump also supply the bath mixer tap?

Sorry for being so long-winded (and stupid), I would be very grateful for any helpful advice.

Thanks

diydoctor6
Ganger
Ganger

Re: Some Fairly Basic Questions on Shower Pumps and Towel Rails

by diydoctor6 » Tue Dec 22, 2015 2:39 pm

1. The domestic hot water and the heating system are entirely different. You cannot use the domestic hot water to heat your towel rail.

2. The short answer is 'yes' you can have an electric towel rail as you describe. This will need to be fitted by a competent person, an electrician, so they will ensure that it is safe and legal. for more information about what you're allowed to do in the bathroom, see our project on Part P: https://www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects/partp.htm

3.&4. This is our project on shower pumps, which should answer your questions: https://www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects/powershower.htm

5. It is unlikely that you'll be showering and bathing at the same time, so having the pump for both should not be a problem. If you do use both at the same time, both will call for water and the flow to one of both is likely to be reduced. Or you get a more powerful pump?

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:42 am