Someone building something mad opposite me!
If you want to know how your DIY projects could be affected by building and planning regulations, click here to post questions and view answers

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
madwelsh
Labourer
Labourer

Someone building something mad opposite me!

by madwelsh » Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:09 am

I've joined this site purely to understand how these people are doing this.. essentially it's a detached property, and they have stuck half an extra house on the roof! I have checked the 'planning portal' which tells me they need to be 20 cm back from eaves (they aren't) and also max of 50 cub m, (they aren't) I spoke to the 'designer', who assured me this was within permitted 'development'. Am I really going to have to put up with this 'Dalek'? I'm sure it's going to have an affect on MY house price, seriously, I'll upload some pics tomorrow and you will understand.. If it is all poop, as I know they have no planning, who do I need to speak to?

I hasten to add, it looks like nothing on the street (as in nobody else has done this mad conversion), and they have basically done a loft conversion from the centre line of the roof to the back with a flat roof, (hence the dalek look). Yes they have smoked windows on the side, but they are still building to the edge of the eaves.. I've tried the council, but they seem to employ rather nasty invertebrates..

Little help please?

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Someone building something mad opposite me!

by welsh brickie » Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:46 am

planning consent would have to been passed before starting work,Contact your local council planning office and voice your concerns.

BuyersAssistant
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: Someone building something mad opposite me!

by BuyersAssistant » Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:22 pm

Agree, contact the planning office at the local council.

Proper planning permission should have been applied for for such a major alteration.

Small modifications can be made, within strict criteria. This sounds like it's well outside those bounds.

They should have applied for planning permission, in which case you should have been allowed to raise your objections?

Did you recently move it? Perhaps it went through planning before you moved?

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1