DIY Doctor

Main navigation

Sound proofing external facing stud wall behind a garage door

Postby bleicker » Sun Sep 19, 2021 9:15 am

Hey guys, I'm building a stud wall behind my garage door (metal door) to use as a recording space and I'm wondering about the best materials to use to create a good sound barrier with good thermal performance too. I was thinking about using 4x2 to make the frame and on the side facing the garage door cover it with some high density material. I'm not sure if that could be OSB as it seems to be more resistant to humidity as well. Inside the wall I'm planning to add 90mm PIR insulation, and then on the inside 1 layer 15mm acoustic plasterboard with a layer of tecsound and then another 15mm layer pf acoustic plasterboard.

I'f anyone has any other suggestions about different materials I could use it would be great.
bleicker
Progress to next rank:
68.4%

• DIY How to Project Guides
  • DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!