Soundproof ventilation
Questions and answers on many aspects of soundproofing areas of your home

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Drumbody
Labourer
Labourer

Soundproof ventilation

by Drumbody » Sat Mar 29, 2008 3:31 pm

As you may or may not know, i have built a recordign studio inside a prefab garage. I've put up a stud wall between the rehearsal room and the control room. But due to the air tight seal in the door system and all the soundproofing, there is no air exchange between the rooms which sometimes lead to condensation in the rehearsal room.

So i've decided i want to install a fan ventilation system from outside into the rehearsal room etc. The ventilation part I think i know what to do, and i've been given a in-line mixed flow duct fan to use.

But what i was worried about was how i could still retain the soundproof isolation of the rehearsal room, but still provide air exchange.

Any ideas or thoughts would be appreciated.

KartingDave
Labourer
Labourer

by KartingDave » Mon Oct 06, 2008 4:52 pm

The key to achieving ventilation while also keeping the space soundproof is using a baffle system. You can make a box from MDF with pieces o f wood protruding into the box so that the air has to follow a maze like path from end to end. You must then line every surface inside the box with a sound absorbant foam like SA25FR. If you make the baffle (air path long you will also need to use a fan in the system to keep the air moving.

I would also recommend using two baffles one for air in and one for air out with fans positioned close to the end that noise doesn't matter at. So for a recording studio I would put the fans as far away from the recording area as possible.

peteboy
Labourer
Labourer

Soundproof vent are available from most soundproofers

by peteboy » Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:32 pm

I got some soundproof vents from "soundproofingforum.co.uk"
as they were close to me so I could collect and get some advice in person.

I think other places supply them for exactly the same price e.g.:
"soundservice.co.uk" or "bicpro.co.uk" etc....

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:34 pm