DIY Doctor

Soundproofing a stud wall in rented accomodation

Postby stevemhh76 » Sun Nov 04, 2007 10:27 am

Can anyone help? I am in rented accomodatoin with what a beleive to be a hollow stud wall separating the 2 bedrooms. It is very noisy and I wondered if there may be a solution to this. I have read that expanding filler foam is the easiest way if you cannot remove the plasterboard. Would this be best?

Many thanks!
Rank: Labourer
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2007 10:22 am


Simply Build It

Postby Nimrod » Tue Nov 06, 2007 7:53 pm

Hi S,

As you have found out the acoustical performance of ordinary stud walls leaves much to be desired. There is no cheap way of improving the performance of such structures.

The noise transmission through the wall could be reduced by increasing the surface mass of the wall and introducing damping. One approach would be to line the wall with soft board. This board is then covered by another layer of plasterboard.

Given that you are in rented accommodation it is unlikely that you could or would be allowed to carry-out such remedial work. You could always raise it with the landlord and see if he was sympathetic.

The injection of expanding foam would not help. Indeed it could even make things worse as you would be potentially couping the outer and inner plasterboard leaves together so that they move together.

Rank: Tradesman
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 28
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2007 7:01 pm

Display posts from previous
Sort by
Order by

  • DIY How to Project Guides
  • DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!

  • Related Topics