soundproofing fireplaces???
Questions and answers on many aspects of soundproofing areas of your home

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
mutley
Labourer
Labourer

soundproofing fireplaces???

by mutley » Sun Jul 22, 2007 5:47 pm

I hear absolutely everything through our 1930's semi. I hear talking and tv even in my bedroom upstairs when they're in their living room. I have read about insulating walls but what about the two open fire places in the living room and bedroom above. Could these be the main culprit? How would I go about insulating them? I can do the rest of the wall but wouldnt the fireplaces defeat the whole plan?!!!!
Help please! Thanks

Nimrod
Tradesman
Tradesman

by Nimrod » Thu Aug 09, 2007 10:03 pm

Sound travels in a building by a number of different paths.
For example a) through the physical structure b) through holes in structure and c) by flanking paths eg thru open windows or doors.
An oft overlooked area is gaps in the brickwork underneath in the void created by suspended floors at ground and first floor.
Even the smallest of holes between properties will degrade the sound insulation between properties considerably.
Indeed the same comments apply to the attic space and party wall. Seal all the holes.
From what you describe it would appear that you are suffering from type b) sound transmission.
It is unlikely that the fire places are the main source of your problem unless there is a major problem with your flues.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Mar 27, 2024 12:11 am