Questions and answers on many aspects of soundproofing areas of your home

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
LH
Labourer
Labourer

soundproofing floorboards with ceiling lights below

by LH » Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:10 pm

Hi
I've checked other posts and the projects page but can't find the answer to my question.

I've recently moved to a flat with sanded original floorboards in most rooms. We're thinking of soundproofing the floors as we can hear the neighbours below talking alot (so I assume they can also hear us).
However, they have recessed spotlights fitted in their ceiling - in this instance is it still possible to put soundproofing below the floorboards (and if so what type would be best), or would this become a potential fire hazard?

Many thanks.

bd3cc
Foreman
Foreman

by bd3cc » Sun May 03, 2009 7:01 pm

It is possible to get acoustic/fire rated downlighters for this purpose, which look identical from below, so you might want to replace their downlighters, they might even contribute if they are amenable and have the same problem.
Downlighter in flats should be fire rated anyway to maintain the integrity of the ceiling fire resistance.
You must leave an air gap of at least 100mm round and above the fitting, and particularly the transformer ( if their is one), but some downlights are mains voltage and dont have them.
hth

Perry525
Site Agent
Site Agent

by Perry525 » Sat May 09, 2009 5:13 pm

I would guess that the people down stairs can hear your every word and footfall.
Pulling up all the floor boards and filling the space between the joists with sound insulation will make a considerable difference to the noise level as far as the spoken word is concerned but, what about the noise from walking, moving furniture, TV and music?
I would suggest that covering the existing floor with acoustic tiles/matting will provide an all round better solution and for a lot less upheaval, mess and noise.
Look on the net there are lots of products to choose from.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:53 am