Sparky Job and qualifications!
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
puttyinyahand
Apprentice
Apprentice

Sparky Job and qualifications!

Post by puttyinyahand » Wed Nov 12, 2008 4:39 pm

Hi Guys, bit of a weird post I know but have used this site for many a job in the past and you all seem to know your stuff so was after some advce if possible!!!
I have been a marine engineer for the last 9 years and as with everything at the moment the luxury boats have dried up!
I have taken on everything you could think of in terms of fitting out, servicing, repairs, electronics etc and touched bases with most trades to do repairs but only very minor.
I am interested in re-training to become a sparky but at the ripe old age of 27 college seems a long distant memory, so heres my question.

The trade skills courses that are run to gain qualifications in such a field are they a. anygood, and b, recognised by professionals to gain a job? I understand that there is no better way of learning than the college courses but I really couldn't afford to do the 3 year thing.

I also understand that experience plays a massive part but didn't want to think I was making a positive step by investing in one of the short intensive courses if they are frownd upon in the industry...

Thanks for your time guys, any help would much appreciated.

ericmark

Post by ericmark » Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:51 pm

When sparks were in short supply having C&G 2381 now 2382 was enough to get work as a spark. In today’s climate at least a C&G 2391 would be required and one is unlikely to get that without experience.
In 2002 I did three courses that ran concurrently PAT testing, 16th Edition and 2391 one 6 week and two 12 week courses one night a week and 3 hours each night and this cost £40 to £70 each course and allowed me to completely update and be able to fill in the required paperwork.
But early this year I went to do upgrade from 16th to 17th Edition and this cost £175 the full course now costs £275 seems all cheap courses have gone.
I did look at the C&G 2330 and was allowed to sit on the course for a couple of weeks but so basic was really a waste of time for me.
So I opted for a degree and now have a degree in Electrical and Electronic engineering not that it has done me any good. My right hand was damaged in an industrial accident and I wanted to become a Forman as no longer able to work as an electrician but no one seems willing to employ me.
This is not time to change trades.
Eric

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by kbrownie » Fri Nov 14, 2008 7:33 am

Hi puttyinyahand,
I have always questioned how good are these short fast track course, how can anyone be able to take so much in, in so little time, bewilders me!
I had a friend that took one of these course and got the qualications, then ended up do evenings at college because all he had done was learn to pass the exam and had retained very little of the knowledge.
As Eric says the industry is quiet at the moment as are most others.
You can complete C&G course level 2&3 in less than two years on day release. You still need your 2382 and 2392 which are shorter course and with experience behind you can be completed within a couple of weeks.
I can understand your eagerness to qualify in any trade, but qualifications, skill, knowledge and experience are all factors.
I would never put anyone of taking fast track courses, it may work for some. But if I had a electrician coming to my house or property and he's only qualication was from a short course or if I had the likes of one that had spent sometime learning he's stuff. I know how i'd prefer to do the job and I guess that would also be a consideration for potential employers!
KB

ericmark

Post by ericmark » Fri Nov 14, 2008 9:59 pm

Been read now so removed.
Last edited by ericmark on Sun Nov 16, 2008 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

puttyinyahand
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by puttyinyahand » Sun Nov 16, 2008 11:38 am

Hi guys, thank you both for the quick responses and advice, especially to you Eric.
I´m sorry to hear of your accident, but it does sound from your post that you have led one manic, fulfiiled, and long career!

I do understand your words for a steep learing curve, when I left college I went head first into Marine engineering, and there certainly is no trainin like on the job. Having to cut my first 40mm hole in the front of somebodies half a million pound toy for a bow thruster was daunting, I don´t think I slept that night wondering if ia had laminated it in properly1! but now i´m like a saw weilding maniac ha ha!

No thanks again for your kind words of wisdom, I no there is no better place to learn than job experience but haveing the right qualifications and training is a must...

I have been looking into the might courses that I can hopefully run alongside work at the moment.... we shall see.

All the best guys!

ericmark

Post by ericmark » Sun Nov 16, 2008 11:42 pm

Funny my son has been talking about a bow thruster in his boat/home and the last boat/ship/drilling rig not sure what to call it had only thrusters.
I asked him why not an electric outboard at the front!
Eric

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 03, 2024 4:15 am