sparx and any other expert opinions
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
kuzz
Ganger
Ganger

sparx and any other expert opinions

by kuzz » Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:38 pm

I've become a little confused, not hard i know.
Right then, i work for (niceic registered) local authority. Because of new financial constraints with budgets i am now being told not to do my job to regulations. Basically my question is is this allowed? I think not, but my superiors don't seem to have a problem with it so maybe I'm wrong?

just a couple of examples.
I do not now wire sockets for appliances under work tops in kitchens. I do not rcd protect any new wiring in tenanted properties.

Obviously I'm filling out the relevant certs and failing my own work where applicable, which apparently makes everything fine according to the people above me. So where do i then draw the line? could save loads of money if i don't bother putting a fuse board in at all, could come straight out the cut out- It's fine I'll just write it on the cert! hey lets not bother wiring bonds, everything still works if you leave them out! it's fine I'll write it on my cert! you get the point.

bs 7671 is there for safety. When did safety get a price tag put on it? Never before in my career have i been made to ignore regulations-just seems a little wrong.
discuss.
kuzz.

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:16 am

Hi kuzz,
this sounds like a big wrong, you are doing the the right thing by flagging the points up on certs and schedules because with your signature on these documents you become responsible.
Is it a type 1 or type 2 EIC you do?
I'd contact The IET and see what there veiws area.
Regards
KB

kuzz
Ganger
Ganger

by kuzz » Tue Apr 07, 2009 6:20 pm

Type 2,

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:53 am

Hi KUZZ
The thing is that in some cases it does not have to fully comply to BS7671, but there needs to be good reason. This needs to documented in departures.
This seems to be a money save operation and I guess the HSE would not be too happy about it.
I would have considered RCDs now being a must do and can not think of any good reason not to install them other than money!
The kitchen appliances may be a grey area depending if free standing or fixed.
I'll try delve a little deeper in to this!
KB

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:25 pm

Hi Kuzz & Others,
If the organisation employing you claim to be NICCY reg. presume you are not their 'Quality Manager'?
So you should be using 3 signature EIC's, & only signing for 'Installing'
since someone else (your boss) is designing by telling you how to do the job, and therefore, by default, must inspect/test HIS design has been complied with! & sign part 3.
From your discription, this is part P work also, so even if local housing authority having work done it must still be registered with building control, a seperate entity, difficult though it may be it is not permitted to knowingly work outside IEE Regs. putting a note on cert. does not make it right !
I guess it matters how much you need your job, but I would innocently ask the NICCY technical help desk if it's ok to do this as a member company, if asked for your name give your Q.M's by mistake!
sneeky but it's your reputation on the line.
regards SPARX

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 05, 2024 1:15 pm