All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Newps
Apprentice
Apprentice

Speed fit connectors

by Newps » Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:18 am

Hi there,
Just fitted a new bath at the weekend and used speed fit connectors to connect bath taps to hot and cold feed.

Everything looks good with no leaks but i noticed the hot push fit connection moves up and own a little when you turn the hot tap on and off, cold is fine and does not move.

Cold comes from CW tank in loft and hot is supplied from a combi located downstairs.

Is this normal, its not leaking and i have pushed id down firmly again?

Push fit is going to 22mm copper pipe.

Cheers
Newps

plumbbob
Project Manager
Project Manager

by plumbbob » Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:05 pm

If the water pressure is high, often as it alters you can see the couplings expanding under the pressure. Frightening I know, but theoretically should be fine.

chris_on_tour2002
Project Manager
Project Manager

by chris_on_tour2002 » Mon Oct 13, 2008 11:08 pm

in fact speedfit connectors actually use the water pressure to help create a watertight seal. as the pressure pushes against the connector the fittings inside bite harder onto the pipe, keeping them firmly in place. the seal itself is achieved with an O ring.

when the pressure drops they cam relax a little, so it sounds quite normal. of course if the pressure is exceptionally high they could leak but they are designed to withstand mains pressure and can probably take a good deal more than your gravity-fed system can deliver (caveat of course, not knowing the kind of pressure you are getting). if you are concerned you can lessen the pressure by part closing the service valves at the bath if they are fitted.

i should point out that i am playing devil's advocate here - i am not a fan of speedfit myself and don't use it, especially in inaccessible areas. good old solder and compression for me! call me old-fashioned...

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 08, 2024 8:19 pm