spotlights
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
mwilson75
Apprentice
Apprentice

spotlights

Post by mwilson75 » Sun Apr 29, 2007 8:01 pm

could any one tell me how many 50W mains halogen spots I will need in a room 12 feet by 12 feet with a ceiling height of 10 feet ( my front room) and what spacing should I use to get the best effect from them.
Ta muchly

marclewis
Labourer
Labourer

Post by marclewis » Tue May 01, 2007 9:51 pm

I install kitchen and bathrooms for a living and have installed quite a number of LV and mains down lighters. LV are brighter than main ones and 4 would give you reasonable light. And that means 200 watt, so not the cheapest to run. I have installed 8 in a room of that size, but they were 35 watt LV. You could get away with 6.
The rules say that they should now be fire rated. This means that you fit a special 60 minute fire cone over a standard fitting at about £15 or buy new units that are (IP65 Shower Downlight. Fire & Acoustic rated recessed halogen downlight with die cast bezel supplied with transformer) from someone. ( Link Deleted No Advertising allowed )
You could go for the new mains type LED (About 1.3 watt each) but go for 6 to 8, but are not dimmerble at the moment. Try misterresistor.co.uk or initiallights.co.uk

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:16 pm