DIY Doctor

Spray or Roller? - Price and advice... Help!

Postby Bumble » Sat Jul 17, 2010 6:42 pm

Hi all,
our new (self build) house has just been plastered throughout. It has dot and dab throughout with two skims of plaster.(I'm using terms here I don't fully understand?!) I've been told I now need to get the first undercoat on all the walls and ceilings.

My question is this;

Is it best to use a spray gun or roller? Is it something we can do ourselves? How much would it cost approximately for a contractor to do it?

The area is approx 500sq m over three floors; 11 rooms.

Any other advice or tips very gratefully received!

Thanks in advance. :?:
Rank: Labourer
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat Jul 17, 2010 6:28 pm


Gorilla Glue heavy duty grab adhesive

Postby Dan the man » Sun Jul 18, 2010 10:09 pm

A spray gun finish is more of a flat smooth finish and looks nice but does show imperfections in the plastering, a roller finish has more of an eggshell feel and isnt as smooth but is much easier to do for a novice.
Pricing is difficult without seeing the job but get a few quotes and compare.
Dan the man
Rank: Ganger
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 109
Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2009 9:47 pm

Postby JRS » Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:42 pm

Honestly never seen any house sprayed before. Internly. All you need is a roller and some contract emulsion thinned up more like water. No need for getting a Painter in unless you wish for them to leave the job as complete as it would just be a waste of time.
Rank: Ganger
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 188
Joined: Thu May 27, 2010 8:29 pm

Display posts from previous
Sort by
Order by

  • DIY How to Project Guides
  • DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!

  • Related Topics