Spur and Daisy Chaining Sockets
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
siefly
Labourer
Labourer

Spur and Daisy Chaining Sockets

by siefly » Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:13 am

Hi there,
i have been racking my brains thinking of a way i can make this as safe as possible to allow what the customer is wanting.
At present he has a twin socket back entry spurred off ring main in house to garage.So off the spurred socket he has a FCU feeding lighting in the garage.Also off this socket he as a single socket extension lead looks like 1.5mm flex that plugs into the socket that runs around door frame. Plugged into the single socket is a 4 way extension lead feeding fridge freezer and a radio, also off this 4 way is a twin socket other side of his desk that just plugs into the 4 way.

Now the customer wants a outside socket wired to the twin socket, so basically some serious daisy chaining going on here. Saving grace is the 13amp plug tops i guess. I have told him how this setup is but has told me nothing big will ever be used on these sockets. I know not the point. but ive told him i will def have to fit a RCD FCU to feed both the twin and outside socket.
My initial thought was to not get involved. but he has assured me that the twin+outside socket will be left unplugged when not in use.
Am i over thinking this here or is it a case of i have explained the dangers and if he plugs the twin and outside socket in then its down to him ?

Maybe change the first single socket to a FCU ?

thoughts please.

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Spur and Daisy Chaining Sockets

by ericmark » Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:38 pm

LAP sold by Screwfix do a grid system where you can combine socket, fuse, switch into one double socket face plate, so I would use one of these as first socket, with two fuses, one 3A for lights and one 13A for the rest, it means socket is not switched, but allows you to keep original socket, and fuse all to 13A plus lights to 3A and take as many sockets as you want from it, I would of course mark the fuse holder 3A and 13A.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 22, 2024 8:28 am