spurs and switched sockets.
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
jasont82
Apprentice
Apprentice

spurs and switched sockets.

by jasont82 » Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:16 pm

hi there
im doing some alterations to a mates kitchen, just moving some switches on the wall that control sockets under the worktop. its wired up like you would wire a spur. the switch is wired into the 2.5mm ring then a 2.5mm tail is taken to the socket under the worktop. im just confused because i thought it should have been a spur not just a switch. with no fuse to protect the 2.5mm tail that goes to the socket it could potentially draw up to 32amps could it not? im going to put a fused spur in place of the switch but thought i would check this is the right thing to do.
cheers
jason

ericmark

by ericmark » Thu Jul 10, 2008 12:21 am

A single socket can't supply more that 13 amp and most grid switches are 20 amp rating so that's OK. But do remember in a kitchen which is a special location you need to inform LABC before you start and will need to raise the inspection and test paper work to submit once complete unless you are a registered electrician under the Part P system. In many cases the LABC charge more to register work than a registered electrician will charge to do whole job so be careful.
All best Eric

jasont82
Apprentice
Apprentice

by jasont82 » Sat Jul 12, 2008 12:03 pm

oh ok i see. so if i were to spur off a ring with just a switch and put two sockets in a radial then there is a potential for the two sockets to pull 26amps combined (13a each) then i would need to a fused spur as the 2.5mm radial is only good enough to handle 16-20amps before it over heats and melts and at 26amps the 32amp breaker protecting the ring wont trip out???

ericmark

by ericmark » Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:49 am

Current rating of cables in walls not so straight forward 2.5mm can be under 13.5 amp but also 27 amp according to how it is run and limit is 70 degs C not when it melts there is a table to work out currents etc.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Mar 13, 2024 12:08 pm