Squaring Off An Archway.
Brickwork, drystone walling, render are a few subjects covered here. Click here to post questions and get answers

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
cybersilly
Labourer
Labourer

Squaring Off An Archway.

Post by cybersilly » Sat Aug 11, 2007 10:47 am

Hi, Hopefully someone will be able to advise me on my small query.

I am renovating our home and have arrived at a crucial decision to make! Do I just re-plaster the archway now that I have removed all that disgusting green and brown slate, or do I (as we would like) cut back the arch and square off the opening?

My question(s); How much brick-work would I need to leave for the concrete lintel (approx 3m length) to sit on at either end.

And if I do that, will I need to get the council involved for inspection (is this done before or after you cut it back?)?

Thank's for your time, I look forward to reading your replies with trepidation!!!

Cybersilly.[/img]

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

archway

Post by welsh brickie » Sat Apr 12, 2008 11:01 am

you have to have a minimum of 150mm bearing on each side of the lintol
you really must consult local building authority before starting job

cybersilly
Labourer
Labourer

Job Done :)

Post by cybersilly » Wed Apr 16, 2008 1:36 pm

Thank's for the reply Brickie, unfortunately it arrived a little late to be of help, however thank you anyway :D

To update you on the finished task:

I spoke to the local council planner, showed him a couple of photos of the project, he advised that as I was replacing the old cement lintel with a new suitable RSJ, and therefore brining it up to modern building standards regulations, and also as it had already been 'cut' away that I would not need specific planning approval.

With this in mind, and as I'm not a builder, I employed a master builder to remove and replace the RSJ (£600 all in, including clearing away rubbish and hovering), this did mean that I had to have the ceiling re-plastered as they needed to cut away a three foot section for the supports (for upper floor beams) prior to removing the old cement lintel.

Now that it is finished I must say that it was the right choice, the room(s) now look much bigger and brighter (just a shame the plasterer was crap, going to have to re-do a lot of his work myself; nowhere near as good as the job I did upstairs with polycell stuff! bloody ripp-off merchant :( )

To anyone else looking to take on a similar project:

Definately do it! but get a builder in, it will be much less stress, and will probably cost you less in the long run. :)

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by rosebery » Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:24 pm

"unfortunately it arrived a little late to be of help"

Yes - I just don't see the point in resurrecting topics that are over a month old and certainly not 8!

"just a shame the plasterer was crap, going to have to re-do a lot of his work myself"

If you were not satisfied with the work done by your plasterer and the work was sub-standard why on earth did you pay him until it WAS up to acceptable standard?

Just for completeness you have found out that building regulations approval by the LABC is quite different from planning approval. Whether the planner cares or not the BCO will. But I guess the builder took care of that for you.

Cheers

PS How long did the builder hover for? (Sorry - you'll have to excuse my warped sense of humour.)

cybersilly
Labourer
Labourer

Post by cybersilly » Thu Apr 17, 2008 1:42 pm

Rosebery, he 'hovered' round till he got paid lol, he got his side-kick to do the vacuuming: P

The 'Plasterer' is (was) a friend of mine, he is fully qualified and has a number of years experience; I saw his work many times before I entertained the thought of using him (and his workmate).

As it happens the quality of their workmanship became apparent over the following weeks as it dried out, hence we had paid by then as it 'looked' ok when they had finished.

They came back and made what corrections they could, but still, its crap!

And the moral?, yup, you got it; NEVER USE YOUR MATES FOR ANYTHING, other than drinking buddies 'n fetching relatives from the airport :)

'oh 'n thank's for making me grammatically paranoid :shock: and spell checking this in Office before posting lol :lol:

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Mar 31, 2024 11:30 am