Stained grouting in bathroom
Advice and information on tiling and fixing tiles to a variety of surfaces

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
squander123
Labourer
Labourer

Stained grouting in bathroom

by squander123 » Tue Jul 17, 2007 5:12 pm

I wonder if anyone can advise us on this problem? We have a tiled floor in the bathroom, and in the last 2 or 3 weeks, the grouting between these tiles has developed orangey, almost rust-coloured stains, especially close to the shower, but it seems to be spreading along the grouting.

It doesn't seem like mould, and I've just read on another site that this colour stain can be discolouration from acidic soaps and shampoos. I've tried using bleach and scrubbing, but although lots of 'orangey' stuff seems to come off when I do this, the stains are still there when the floor dries.

Does anyone know what these stains are, what I should do to remove them, and how to stop them coming back? I'm most concerned that it may be some kind of mould, and that we're going to need to get the floor retiled and grouted...

Many thanks for any help you can offer!

Paulstc
Labourer
Labourer

Discoloured Grout

by Paulstc » Wed Aug 22, 2007 12:50 pm

I have the same problem with orangey grout.

After investigation it appears that non waterproof adhesive and non waterproof grout may be the cause. Furthermore if the floor and walls are made of Plaster, plasterboard, timber and timber-based products such as mdf or plywood which are absorbent they should be made waterproof by the use of a waterproofing system (or tanking system).

External link removed, no unpaid advertising of any kind allowed.

I hope this is of help?

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 10:25 am