Staining Meranti hardwood + ply fire door to match ?
Kitchens, doors, rails, stud, tables, chairs, stair cases, garden furniture etc... Find answers and ask questions here!

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Mactavsy
Labourer
Labourer

Staining Meranti hardwood + ply fire door to match ?

by Mactavsy » Thu Aug 23, 2007 5:50 pm

The french doors I need only come in "meranti" hardwood.
Would these stain to a lightish oak effect?

Also I need a fire door to fit right next to these french doors and you can't get a "meranti" hardwood fire door. Also, this would be a toilet door so want as soundproof as poss. Someone suggested ply. Would this stain up well to match whatever finish I get on the meranti hardwood?

Thanks anyone.

Oddbod
Ganger
Ganger

by Oddbod » Wed Aug 29, 2007 5:52 pm

Hi. A lot of places call any unnamed mahogany type hardwood "Meranti" - which doesn't help much.

Most "Meranti" is already darker than light oak, so I suspect you are off to a bad start with your French doors - you can't stain or colour something lighter.

Chances are that bog-standard ply is probably "Meranti" (whatever that is!) anyway.

Basically you can colour a lighter wood darker, but not the other way around. So provided the fire-door is lighter you stand a chance. For a DIY-er you'd be better off using a coloured varnish, it's more controllable than a stain. Remember you can always switch to clear varnish for the remaining coats when you get it dark enough.

Mactavsy
Labourer
Labourer

by Mactavsy » Fri Aug 31, 2007 9:54 pm

Thanks, Oddbod. Most helpful.
I've got my doors now and they've come in fairly light so should be able to varnish them up nicely.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Feb 26, 2024 12:49 pm