Stainless Steel Sink Clips Needed and Silicone Sealing Question
All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

hoogerbooger
Apprentice
Apprentice

Stainless Steel Sink Clips Needed and Silicone Sealing Question

by hoogerbooger » Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:48 am

Hope this is the right forum.

Just had my 40mm laminate kitchen worktops replaced. The chippy cut the sink cut-out too tight for the clips, then left for another job. The plumber could only get the clips on one side so put them at the back and used a silicone bead to seal. (The sink being re-inserted had a intact cleaned-up narrow foam seal ).Sink was not weighted while silicone was left to go off and sink was used within a few hours.

Now I'm thinking I've been left with a sink vulnerable to lifting and the seal failing. Is that likely to be the case ? would silicone on it's own be enough ? or are the clips essential ? - I had thought they were - but wasn't there at the time the work was done.

If the silicone seal it is not likely to last - should it be lifted now, cleaned up and the cut-out enlarged at clip locations ? is that a straight forward job ?. I don't want the work top damaged and it may pull off the existing inset seal when removing the silicone ? Seems too late to try just enlarging locally for clips from under with sink in situ, now the silicone has gone off as I may upset the seal.

Advice very welcome - as I have a chippy and plumber I may need to talk to.

It is currently Sun Apr 14, 2024 11:45 pm