stair lighting
If you want to know how your DIY projects could be affected by building and planning regulations, click here to post questions and view answers

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
phil.harrison
Labourer
Labourer

stair lighting

by phil.harrison » Fri Mar 21, 2008 4:34 pm

I want to instal some LED lights into my stairs. The LED light are 1" diameter and I want to fit one every other step. To do this I will need to drill a 1" hole in the side of the staircase. my concern/worry is, will this comply to building regulations, and will it weaken the stairs? Is there anyone who can advise me or give me any information on where i would be able to find the answer.
Thank you in advance!

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Wed Mar 26, 2008 5:19 pm

Hi,
i'm guessing staircase is made of wood. Depending on it's design, is it support from underneath or not will have a bearing on it's structual soundness but an inch hole every other step should not create a great problem. But you must be carefull when installing electrics directly in to wooden stuctures as electric circuit give oof heat, part p of building regs applies for all new circiuts in domestic installation so you need a qualified electrician in
regards

KB

matt h
Tradesman
Tradesman

by matt h » Fri Mar 28, 2008 12:32 am

IF YOU ARE UTILISING LOW VOLTAGE DECKING LIGHTING YOU SHOULD HAVE NO PROBLEMS.. HAVE FITTED SUCH IN THE PAST AND ARE STILL WORKING FINE MANY YEARS LATER :wink:

phil.harrison
Labourer
Labourer

by phil.harrison » Fri Mar 28, 2008 8:20 pm

Thanks alot KB & matt H
your advice has been very helpful and very much appreciated.
All the best
Phil :D

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1