Stairs upgrade/replacement and mounting to wall
General problems, solutions, information and advice on fixing to walls of all kinds

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Marcin2
Labourer
Labourer

Stairs upgrade/replacement and mounting to wall

by Marcin2 » Sun Nov 01, 2020 1:56 am

I am not entirely sure which subforum I should use, but I think "Fixing to walls" might be the best.

I intend to remove and replace typical household wooden stairs to something like that:

image-1.jpg

and subsequently more to something like that:

image-2.jpg

We intend to observe all regulations in regards to the pitch, etc, etc as listed in the building regs 2010 appendix K (+ we really need some rails on the open side). We like that as it also reduces stair flex:

image-3.jpg

(picture from https://www.completestairsystems.co.uk/ ... staircase/)

While I am perfectly capable of doing the welding/woodwork, I am not entirely sure of the plate mounting to the wall.
Usually, the plate is being constructed from approx 12mm thick sheet metal and secured to the concrete wall, usually with the bolts protruding to another side (then covered with insulation, etc)

While I like my neighbour, I am pretty sure she does not like me that much to allow 30 nuts protruding from her staircase wall ;)

My brick wall is approx 120mm thick, some sort of aerated grey concrete, but not siporex -as it is almost impossible to hammer the bolt into it.

Last year I have done some shelving in the loft and frankly speaking - 4 rails, supported by 12 (3 in each)rail nylon 6mmx80mm hammer fixing are capable to hold securely more than 100kg, while extended 60cm away from the wall.

Any advice?

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Stairs upgrade/replacement and mounting to wall

by stoneyboy » Mon Nov 02, 2020 9:21 pm

Hi marcin2
Very unwise to use the aerated block wall for support. If you must have cantilever treads you will probably have to build another wall inside the existing using 7kN concrete blocks. You will still have to partly obscure the open risers and use the correct spacing for the handrail spindles.
I'm assuming you are in the UK - other countries may have dofferent standards.
Regards S

Marcin2
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Stairs upgrade/replacement and mounting to wall

by Marcin2 » Thu Nov 05, 2020 3:09 am

Thanks for advice.

Regrettably, you are the third person saying that.

I'm going back to the drawing board.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 22, 2024 1:11 am