Steam Showers
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
ruddw
Labourer
Labourer

Steam Showers

Post by ruddw » Thu May 03, 2007 1:16 pm

I have a Steam Shower cubicle which is a free standing unit that basically replaces an existing shower. It is designed to sit flush up against the tiling. It has a 2.8kw steam unit attached and lighting etc....

The unit comes with a built in 30ma RCE at the end of the mains cable and then 6" further a 13a 3 pin plug. Surely it is not allowed to have a 13a socket in the bathroom even behind the unit it is or could this socket be connected to another RCE and a breaker switch? I dont want to terminate this in another room but would like to be able to hide everything, plumbing, wiring etc behind the unit

I presume I would need a part P qualified electirican to fit anything in the bathroom, even though I would be quite competent to fit it myself but it seems a lot of hastle getting the BC to certify it.

Does anyone have any suggestions or ideas how best to terminate this appliance so at least I can explain to an electician what I need to have done..

Has anyone had any experience with such a unit?

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by sparx » Sun May 06, 2007 6:23 pm

I've not met one of these but from description not a lot different to a small sauna, if you can keep wiring behind unit your leckie should be able to wire in a fused connection unit in place of a socket, rules are that if you need a 'tool' to gain access to spur/RCD etc then in room is ok as long as IP rating ok for location, ie IP45 for damp areas etc. (A 'tool' can be the key to a locked cupboard).
Or a screwed on boxing section, & and Yes it's covered under part P. Regards SPARX

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 4:46 pm