stone faced concrete blocks - can they be rendered?
All manner of questions and solutions to problems and issues surrounding the subject of brickwork, blockwork and stonework

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
lola
Labourer
Labourer

stone faced concrete blocks - can they be rendered?

by lola » Sun Mar 22, 2009 5:06 pm

I have a raised bed in my garden which also acts as a retaining wall, about 1.5 metres high. It is double skinned, brick faced with concrete blocks in a kind of stone faced finish, very sound but very ugly. It is also painted. I would like to have a smooth render on it but cannot find any information on whether this is possible, the depth that would be needed for the render because of the "ornamental" face of the blocks would be about 5 or 6 cms. Could a mesh be used to hold the render at such a depth? The only alternative that has been suggested is to chisell off the high points of the blocks, but I am concerned that this would be a huge job (the wall is around 6 metres long) and could threaten the stability of the wall. Grateful for any adivce, Lola

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:35 pm

lola,
Since it is a retaining wall if you render it the chances are that the render will blow due to dampness passing through the wall.
Suggest you get someone to sandblast the paint off the wall.
end

youasked
Tradesman
Tradesman

done that recently

by youasked » Wed Mar 25, 2009 3:01 pm

Hi just done similar with old house that was marshalstone faced and painted. Contractor put breathable membrane, metal mesh (very impressive nail gun) and lime render sprayed on and scarrified. great finish and i have pictures ut don't know how to add here???? :roll:

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 6:58 am