stop tap problem
All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
gavint
Labourer
Labourer

stop tap problem

Post by gavint » Sat Jun 20, 2009 6:13 pm

I'm about to put in a new kitchen, including sink, so presumably I need to turn off and drain the flat's water supply first.

I've found the main stop tap inside but the tap end is missing and the part that joins to it looks to have malformed so I can't just slot the one from the hot water supply on to turn it.

So I need to either A) Find a way to fit the sink without turning off the main stop tap B) Find a way to turn the stoptap or C) Find a way to replace the stop tap - but if I can't turn the water off how would I do this.

Has anyone got any advice on any or all of the above?
Thanks

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by stoneyboy » Sun Jun 21, 2009 8:25 pm

gavint,
Buy yourself some mole or vice grips, grip the spindle and see if you can turn off the water. Just in case things go wrong make sure you know where to turn off the water feeding the stopcock.
end

bd3cc
Foreman
Foreman

Post by bd3cc » Sun Jun 21, 2009 9:58 pm

Mole grips may turn the stub, and allow you to turn off. Otherwise there should be a stop tap in the street, but you may need a long key to turn it, which would also allow you to replace the internal stop tap.

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by rosebery » Sun Jun 21, 2009 10:16 pm

"I've found the main stop tap inside but the tap end is missing and the part that joins to it looks to have malformed so I can't just slot the one from the hot water supply on to turn it."

Use one of these: http://www.awin1.com/awclick.php?mid=12 ... l&ts=22301

"A) Find a way to fit the sink without turning off the main stop tap"

- unless you want to get wet its a challenge.

"B) Find a way to turn the stoptap"

- see above.

"C) Find a way to replace the stop tap - but if I can't turn the water off how would I do this."

- find the next stop cock whch may cut off more than just your flat.

Cheers

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:52 pm