DIY Doctor

Main navigation

stop tap

Postby sully872000 » Fri Jun 22, 2007 5:08 pm

hi i dont know where my external or outside stop valve is because i have looked all over for it. any help?
Rank: Apprentice
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 6
Joined: Sun May 13, 2007 4:40 pm


Simply Build It

Postby jondeau » Sat Jun 23, 2007 9:07 am

It should be on the highway or footpath at the boundary of your house.

The stopcock belongs to the water company and so remains just outside your property.

Although normally under a cast iron cover.............It is not unknown for them to be covered over by over enthusiastic Tarmac contractors.......
Rank: Ganger
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 77
Joined: Mon May 07, 2007 10:41 am

Postby htg engineer » Sat Jun 23, 2007 2:31 pm

The external stop tap is normally located near the boundary of the garden and street. If you can find where your neighbours stop taps are, they are normally in the same place for each house. Maybe your has been buried or paved over. If your still unable to locate the stop tap.

Your local water company will be able to find it or install one, shouldn't cost anything as its their responsibility to provide a operable external stop tap.
htg engineer
Rank: Project Manager
Posts: 3256
Joined: Tue May 22, 2007 5:22 pm

Display posts from previous
Sort by
Order by

  • DIY How to Project Guides
  • DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!

  • Related Topics