Stopping woodworm beetles from entering via the eaves
Questions answered and a range of solutions on problems and issues encountered with timber framed buildings

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
DIYdave38
Labourer
Labourer

Stopping woodworm beetles from entering via the eaves

by DIYdave38 » Thu Feb 02, 2017 6:19 pm

I am currently treating my loft timbers to protect them against woodworm. (There is woodworm already present). If I am effective at this is it possible and worthwhile to try to stop the beetles from entering the loft again via the eaves using a fine mesh screen?

AmberMorris
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Stopping woodworm beetles from entering via the eaves

by AmberMorris » Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:31 pm

Mesh screens won't do much against beetles as they will probably find other ways of entering and getting to the wood but I wouldn't worry if I were you. Wood-boring beetles prefer extremely damp conditions and sometimes even require already decaying, rotting wood, I doubt that this is your case. But if it is, you better replace all rotten elements with new wood with some sort of finish - beetles won't be able to penetrate the finish and won't be able to lay eggs.
If you're worried because of observed exit holes but the wood is completely dry, you should know that this damage is probably a result of a previous infestation and this doesn't mean that the beetles will re-infest the wood. To be completely sure, though, you can apply a protective wood finish.

DB10THUMBS
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Stopping woodworm beetles from entering via the eaves

by DB10THUMBS » Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:21 am

Hello all, just thought I'd let you know what I accidentally discovered yesterday. My brick built shed has an active woodworm problem in the shelves etc. You can't put any tidy wood in there. Anyway I used a small chainsaw in the wet winter and put it away wet and dirty. Result it seized with rust. I put the chain to soak in a shallow tray filled with plus gas release oil. I forgot all about it for the summer. Got it out yesterday, much of the oil had evaporated but the remainder was chock full of adult woodworm beetles, literally hundreds of them. I must have captured close to the whole summers flight. I suppose all oil might work. There were other undesirable insects in there as well.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 05, 2024 4:52 pm