Storage heater problem
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
gkelly
Apprentice
Apprentice

Storage heater problem

Post by gkelly » Thu Oct 18, 2007 12:57 pm

This is probably a very simple thing but.....i know nothing about storage heaters!
My sister has just moved into a house that only has storage heaters. The one in the lounge doesnt work at all. How do we 'troubleshoot' - we have tried turning all the dials but still no heat - the others in the house are fine.
Not really sure where to start with this? And dont want to call someone out before we have an rough idea of what could be wrong....any ideas please?? Thanks (Its getting cold!!)

BLAKEY1963
Site Agent
Site Agent

Re: Storage heater problem

Post by BLAKEY1963 » Fri Oct 19, 2007 12:06 am

[quote="gkelly"]This is probably a very simple thing but.....i know nothing about storage heaters!
My sister has just moved into a house that only has storage heaters. The one in the lounge doesnt work at all. How do we 'troubleshoot' - we have tried turning all the dials but still no heat - the others in the house are fine.
Not really sure where to start with this? And dont want to call someone out before we have an rough idea of what could be wrong....any ideas please?? Thanks (Its getting cold!!)[/quote]

Gkelly
Normaly over 13 amp so no fuse at double pole switch.
Only works at off peak 11 pm - 7pm so check storage heater mains board for blown fose tripped mcb ? reset / replace and wait for heater to recharge with heat.
if above does not fire up unit then get expert help in.

BLAKEY1963

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by sparx » Sun Oct 21, 2007 9:26 pm

hi,GK,
as Blakey says they are each on own circuit which only comes live at night, one thing to check after fuse/mcb is inside top cover of heater is a thermal over temp. trip, which goes out if for instance heater is covered up & gets too hot.
Some are a fusible link which once failed must be replaced but some have a resetable type with a reset button, worth a look first,
regards SPARX

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 06, 2024 5:15 am